Medicare Q & A
Question: I have heard from friends that Medicap plan F is “going away”. How will this affect someone who currently has a Medigap (supplement) F or who may want to enroll in a F plan in the future?
SHIP Answer: Plan F is quite popular for many who have a Medicare supplement, so this a common concern. Here are some key points:
· Medigap insurance companies will NOT be allowed to sell plans C or F to people newly eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020.
· Currently, plans C and F are the only two plans that cover the Part B deductible ($185 in 2019). This legislation change was passed to promote more “first dollar” accountability by beneficiaries.
· Beneficiaries eligible for Medicare prior to January 1, 2020 will still be able to purchase a plan C or F.
· And beneficiaries who currently own a plan C or F will be allowed to keep their plans after January 1, 2020 if they choose.
· Plan options D & G offer similar covered services as C & F and at a lower premium; however, plans D & G do not offer the coverage of the Part B deductible.
For additional explanations specific to your situation, please call ARC at 309-888-9099 and request that a SHIP counselor contact you.
SHIP counselors are trained, certified, and experienced in offering one-on-one information for all aspects of Medicare, health insurance and drug plans. A program of ARC, SHIP provides assistance, explanations, and plan comparisons. There is never a cost, sales, or any insurance affiliations.
SHIP is especially helpful for those new to Medicare who are trying to navigate the system and meet deadlines or to anyone wanting to lower current insurance costs and understand options. Help is available by individual appointment at various times each month. Call ARC at 309-888-9099, and a counselor will return your call to set an appointment.
Walk-in hours are available on the 2nd Thursday and 4th Monday of each month ONLY. Walk-ins start at 1 PM with no appointment needed. First come, first served. SHIP is a program of the Illinois Department on Aging.
NEW TO MEDICARE Presentation
June 27th: 10:30 AM in the Auditorium
Are you new to Medicare, or will you be soon? Or do you want to learn more about basics of Medicare? Consider attending the upcoming sessions offered by the ARC Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) Medicare Counselors on June 27th at 10:30 AM. Register for this program by calling ARC at 888-9099. When calling, press 1 for the front desk to make your reservation! You do not need to be an ARC member to attend. We will cover the basic concepts listed below, followed by an opportunity for questions: Medicare Part A & B, the costs and benefits, enrollment steps, deadlines not to miss, what Medicare covers and does not cover and an overview of secondary insurance. Part D not covered in depth.
*See calendars for program dates & times*
Hours of Operation
6:30 AM - 7:00 PM, Mon. - Thurs.
6:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Fri.
8:00 AM - Noon, Sat.
PDF-viewing capability required
600 E Willow St. | Normal, IL 61761 | Phone: 309-888-9099 | Copyright © 2013 ARC Activity & Recreation Center